I wanted my first change to be relatively easy (as easy as change can be) because I wanted to establish my “system” for the changes and work out any bugs before moving on to harder and harder changes.
Finding a lotion that works for me has been a lifelong struggle. I have chronic dry skin. Itchy, red, I feel like I’ve never touched my legs and they’ve felt hydrated. No matter how many times I lather up per day. I also have Keratosis pilaris ( those red bumps on your arms that make your skin look red and blotchy and dry) and it has made me very self-conscious of my arms. I live in long sleeve tops.
I decided after some research that I will try Coconut Oil for a few reasons:
1. I already had it in my pantry. (Score!) I bought a huge container from Costco a few weeks back on a whim to cook with.
2. Very easy. I keep it in my bathroom and after the shower (steam and heat) it’s at the perfect temperature to use as a lotion.
3. Easy to find. You can walk into most stores and pick up unrefined organic coconut oil even if the store is not very organic friendly. This makes sure I will have no excuse for buying any other lotions. Saying “it’s too hard to find/buy” is out of the question.
4. It is a great natural moisturizer and an antibacterial shield from pathogens in the air. I considered it for my face but I feel like it might be a little too greasy for my face. I have dry body skin and a oily face (go figure!).
5. Coconut oil has SPF 4! Who knew? While I understand this is not much protection from the sun it offers my body a constant barrier on days I forget or just don’t wear sunscreen (like the winter). UV rays are the death of youth and any extra protection I can get is great.
6. Hypoallergenic and safe on kids. Since all the changes I’m making, I also will be making for my daughter I have to make sure it is safe for her too.
Monday our first day!
It was easy to transition to using it, wasn’t hard to put on and went on easy. I think I used a little too much. I am starting to realize how a little goes a long long way. I felt quite greasy after applying but in about 20 mins the greasy feeling was gone. I blow dryerd my hair and got dressed and by that time I felt much better and not so greasy. It is different…but I expected that. Got to remember to use less tomorrow and I think that will make a difference.
I like the smell. I keep getting whifts of myself and it smells good, I think, but different. I’ll have to see if my husband notices and likes the smell tonight.
I don’t like the taste. It makes me gag. I’ve tried it for cooking and I just can’t stomach it. Hoping this will be a good alternive to use it without actually haveig to eat it. I know people swear by it in good but I will have to choose something different when making changes to my food and eating habits. I want these changes to be sustainable with my lifestyle. I don’t want to choke down coconut oil every day and not enjoy food.
I’m happy that my first change is going well so far. I will keep it up for the week and either decide to try something different for body lotion or count this as a new habit and move on to a new change!